THE SKYPE INTERVIEW
The video job interview is becoming more and more popular for screening and even hiring candidates – saving the company a great deal travel money.
Are you prepared if you get the call for a Skype interview?
Interviews can be daunting at best, but when you through in a new technology, you can be thrown for a loop. What’s the big deal? Isn’t it just like interviewing in-person? Turns out, it is a big deal and more complicated than you may have thought it would be. Here are tips to prepare for the online interviewing.
- Look Professional – at least for the part of you in camera range.
- Wear solid colors – not prints or bold patterns. Pastels are softer than white.
- Make sure that you are well groomed – hair, facial hair, teeth (no spinach in the teeth).
- Sit up straight – posture is important to your impression and self-confidence.
- Smile, as appropriate. You don’t want to look like a deer caught in headlights.
- Avoid looking down at notes – try to look at the screen/camera. You will be talking to a face, or faces, on the screen. Look into the person’s eyes just as you would in an in-person interview.
- As tempting as this may be, avoid staring at yourself in the small box. This is about you having a conversation with another person.
- If you wear makeup, wear eye makeup to emphasize your eyes and softer colored lipstick. Experiment with this look.
As with anything new, there will be a learning curve with this process. Experiment with others to feel more at ease when you do receive a call for a Skype interview. Once you get the call, it will be too late to start to practice.
Check out the Skype Interview coach – https://interviewcoach.com/student-coaching-skype/